Monday, April 23, 2007

More guns, more safety

I'm still on a blogging break right now. I don't know when it will end...

As for the contest, I am busy going through the many entries. I was simply not prepared for the dozens of participants. It will take me awhile to read them all. But don't worry (I know you all were worrying), the contest will be addressed.

But the real reason for this post is an absurd article I just read in my local paper. I would link to it but linking gives power and I don't want to give power to this ridiculous article. The article is by "Texas Wildman" Ted Nugent (yes, that Ted Nugent), who happens to live in Waco (wonderful...).

Here's the gist of his argument: people should be able to carry guns anywhere they want to. Gun-free zones are only disasters waiting to happen. Look at Columbine, the Amish school in Pennsylvania, and the recent tragedy at Virginia Tech - all gun-free zones. Can't we connect the dots? If only everyone had been carrying guns in those situations - imagine how many lives would have been saved. Oh, and thank God for the concealed handgun law in Texas because "we can now stop evil." Lastly, the only possible conclusion is that "gun-controllers' own policy enabled the unchallenged methodical murder of thirty-two students in that gun-free zone" (at Virginia Tech).

I'm just surprised the New York Times didn't pick up on this article.

3 comments:

angela said...

This post reminds me of something I've been thinking about lately. The two generations ahead of me in my family don't seem to understand that I'm neither a liberal nor a conservative. One thinks that because I think Ted Nugent's ideas are ridiculous, that makes me a godless Democrat, and the other thinks that because I think the partial birth abortion ban should be upheld that I'm a raging Republican. Anyone else having this problem? I don't think I'm alone.

Adam said...

Angela - I'm right with you. And I also think this is an increasing trend among our generation. I'm interested to see how exactly this plays out in the 2008 presidential election - and maybe even more so in the elections after that. Will the parties continue to dominate? Probably. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

I just can't identify with any one party. In fact, the parties make me want to throw up - but that's just me.

Amy said...

No, Adam, it's not just you. Aaron and I were talking about this very same thing last night--the intense dichotomy between the political parties. How on earth does one choose, especially when one has issues close to the heart that are on opposite ends of the political spectrum? It's a lot like what Angie said. And I have no idea how I'm going to vote come 2008.

And, I couldn't help but think one could have almost just stopped reading at this sentence: "The [newspaper] article is by "Texas Wildman" Ted Nugent..." Ted Nugent has his own newspaper column!?!? Oy.

Search

Archives